What do you buy a gearhead/auto technician/mechanic for Christmas? If the guy is young, buy him tools. If he is seasoned, buy him gift certificates for tools like Snap On, MAC Tools or Matco Tools. If he is old, buy him a massage.
I asked my Overland Park auto techs recently what would interest them and here is a Christmas list from them.
1. An engine block coffee table like this one seen on the BBC show Top Gear.
Engine block table Overland Park, KS
2. A wall clock that looks either like a large gear or has seven-time Winston Cup Champion Dale Earnhardt on it.
3. A “Rat Fink” t-shirt. The kind that depicts the popular Rat Rod.
4. Oh yes, when tailgating at the biannual NASCAR Sprint Cup Race at Kansas Speedway, who could be without a Hot Rod Grill. This is basically a reproduction, small block Chevy that doubles as a gas grill, complete with smoking Zoomie headers and a temperature gauge.
Hot rod grill Overland Park, KS
5. An audible torque wrench (batteries not included), which beeps when you reach the preset torque. The old guys with the click type think this is silly, and the young guys don’t know what the click type is.
Torque wrench Overland Park, KS
6. A lamp shaped like a wrench.
7. A gas pump/gum ball machine.
8. A 55 Chevy rear seat couch.
9. A reproduction crankshaft mailbox. I haven’t seen one of these in Overland Park, but in western Kansas, farmers use real ones and they really tear up your car if you hit one.
Crankshaft mailbox Overland Park, KS
So happy shopping and Merry Christmas from all of us at Overland Park’s New Concept Auto Service!